DCU Visa® Platinum Secured Credit Card
A great way to establish or improve your credit history
- Apply Now
DCU Visa Platinum Secured Credit Card Features
- Secured card rates well below the national average
- Borrow against your DCU savings account
- No Annual Fee
- No Fees or Higher Rates for Cash Advances and Balance Transfers
- Works with Apple Pay®, Google Pay™, and Samsung Pay
- Insurance, car rental, travel, and warranty benefits
- Optional Overdraft Protection On Your DCU Checking
- Buy online easily and safely with Visa Checkout
- Embedded EMV chip to protect your card information
Please refer to Details and Rates tabs for additional information and important disclosures.
For more information refer to DCU's VISA Credit Card Agreement and Federal Truth-in-Lending Disclosure Statement.
Apple, and Apple Pay are trademarks of Apple Inc., registered in the U.S. and other countries.
Google and Google Pay are trademarks of Google Inc.
Samsung, and Samsung Pay are registered trademarks of Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd.
I applied for this card because I needed to help my credit score. It is an excellent way to learn how to use a credit card.
— Lady, Worcester, MA
DCU Visa Platinum Secured Credit Card Details
Unlike most secured credit cards on the market, DCU's Visa Platinum Secured Credit Card is a great value. You get all of the benefits of DCU's Visa Platinum Credit Card listed below as well as dividends on the savings you borrow against. If you are looking to establish or improve your credit history, this program is a great way to get started.
DCU Visa Platinum Secured Credit Card Benefits
- Low Rates – Save over other secured credit card rates.
- No Annual Fee – Save up to $45 over other credit cards.
- No Fee or Higher Rate for Cash Advances – Cash advances are free! Get advances 24-hours a day from any ATM displaying the Visa logo or by calling DCU or through Online Banking. Easily transfer money to any of your DCU Savings or Checking accounts or have a check mailed to you. Plus, we offer cash advances up to $200 per day at participating hotels.**
- No Fee or Higher Rate for Balance Transfers – Balance transfers from other credit cards to your DCU Visa Platinum Secured Credit Card are free. You can also make transfers through DCU Online Banking, Mobile Banking, ATMs, Easy Touch Telephone Teller System, the Information Center, or at any DCU branch.
- Compatible with Apple Pay, Google Pay, and Samsung Pay Enjoy all the benefits of your DCU Visa Platinum Card using your mobile device to pay at millions of stores and within apps. Learn More
- Free Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver – You're covered for collision damage or theft on auto rentals.
- Optional Overdraft Protection On Your DCU Checking – Overdrafts are automatically charged to your DCU Visa Platinum Credit Card up to your credit limit when you choose this option.
- Extensive Visa Travel Services – Receive $500,000 in free Travel Insurance Coverage when you charge tickets on any carrier such as airline, train, ship, or bus. Plus, you're assured your room remains available if you arrive late at participating hotels, motels, and resorts.**
- Extended Warranty On Most Purchases – Extends the warranty on most purchases made with your DCU Visa Platinum Credit Card.**
- Buy online easily and safely with Visa Checkout – Learn more
- Embedded EMV chip to protect your information – DCU Visa® Platinum Secured Credit Cards now come with chip technology built right in. This tiny chip protects your information in a big way.
For more information refer to DCU's VISA Credit Card Agreement and Federal Truth-in-Lending Disclosure Statement.
**Review your account agreement for details
Great for Students, Too
The DCU Visa Platinum is the perfect card for college students. Online access is easy when you're away from home through Online Banking and it is safer than cash.
If your own financial situation doesn't allow you to qualify for a card on your own (based on your credit history, income, and expenses), you'll need to have an adult co-borrower who does qualify most often a parent. That offers four advantages:
- It allows you to begin building your own credit history
- May qualify you for a higher credit limit
- It can result in a lower interest rate since your rate will be determined by the best personal credit history among your co-borrowers
- Your co-borrowers can access the account through Online Banking and can easily help make payments by online transfer from their own DCU accounts
Additional Federal Disclosure Table
|Additional Federal Disclosure Table|
|Annual Percentage Rate (APR) for Purchases, Balance Transfers, and Cash Advances|
|DCU VISA||10.25% to 18.00% when you open your account, based on your credit-worthiness. After that, your APR will vary with the market based on Prime Rate*.|
|DCU Rewards VISA||13.00% to 18.00% when you open your account, based on your credit-worthiness. After that, your APR will vary with the market based on Prime Rate*.|
|DCU Secured VISA||13.25%. After that, your APR will vary with the market based on Prime Rate*.|
|Penalty APR (Delinquency) and When it Applies||18.00%
This APR may be applied to your account if you make a late payment.
|How Long Will the Penalty APR Apply?||If your APR is increased for this reason, the Penalty APR will apply until you have made six consecutive payments (minimum or higher) when due, beginning with the first payment due following the effective date of the change.|
|How to Avoid Paying Interest on Purchases||Your due date is approximately 25 days after the close of each billing cycle. We will not charge you interest on purchases if you pay your entire balance by the due date each month.|
|Minimum Interest Charge||NONE|
|For Credit Card Tips from the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau||To learn more about factors to consider when applying for or using a credit card, visit the web site of the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau at:
Foreign Currency Transaction
Up to $35.00 per occurrence
How We Will Calculate Your Balance: We use a method called "average daily balance (including new purchases)".
Rates are effective .
Please refer to DCU's VISA Credit Card Agreement and Federal Truth-in-Lending Disclosure Statement.
DCU Visa Platinum Secured is rated out of 5 by 50.
Rated 5 out of 5 by Alan musyoki from Improve credit This is one of the best way to improve your credit !!
Date published: 2018-06-03
Rated 5 out of 5 by Thekid0318 from Great tool to help rebuild my credit. Easy to get easy to use. Good tool to help rebuild my credit.
Date published: 2017-04-01
Rated 5 out of 5 by frank s. from if you have less than a stellar credit score this is a great product if you have made a few mistakes along the way with your credit. look into this secured card. dcu makes it simple, I applied online and got a reply immediately. the process is quick and easy to understand. included is a chance to build your credit and no annual fee . no annual fee, that's a big benefit.
Date published: 2017-02-22
Rated 5 out of 5 by Jose from This product is excellent. DCU platinum visa has one of the lowest interest and I recommend this product to anyone.
Date published: 2016-05-26
Rated 5 out of 5 by GDLC from Above and Beyond I was reached by DCU and was given a chance wit their secure credit card. Per the loan officer due to my account directs deposits and long time membership they went ahead and gave me an exception. Typically with creditors you never get that one on one with the reps the lending department, I truly appreciate DCU giving me a chance. I'm in the process of trying to rebuild my credit and this is going to help me greatly. Thank You DCU!
Date published: 2016-04-11
Rated 5 out of 5 by lucas&liz from fund your card Everything is pretty straight forward, and the customer service will try, and ask their supervisor, anything to try and help you.
Date published: 2015-02-14
Rated 5 out of 5 by ericsotow from Great Start!! I just recently became a member with DCU and opened a saving account with them and a secured Visa. It was a true pleasure dealing with them, the reps were so helpful. Thanks DCU for this opportunity.
Date published: 2015-01-24
Rated 5 out of 5 by dickersam from DCU Secured Visa is a great card The application process for the card was easy and straightforward, and It has the best features of any secured card that I investigated. Since it links to my savings and checking accounts I can keep track of all my banking transactions in one place.
Date published: 2015-01-03
Is the account noted as secured when reported to the credit bureaus?
Some accounts report as a secured card which I read could impact my credit negatively. Does the DCU secured card report as secured?
This account appeared on my credit report as an open credit card account. In fact my credit score increased within 60 days by 36 points after I opened this account. If you are looking to rebuild a positive credit history this is a great start.
Date published: 2015-03-02
Out of State
I live in Pennsylvania and don't have an account with you. Am I able to open an account, fund it, and then apply for a secured card all without being near a branch?
I live in Brooklyn, NY and I applied for an secured card from my living room. I was able to write a check to open an account and fund the secured amount requested for my secured Visa card from my lPad. It was fast efficient and I received approval in about 48 hours.
Date published: 2014-07-12
Will opening an secured visa and a saving account lower my credit score?
My question is basically; is the credit card a soft pull credit card? I want to use this card to rebuild my bad credit. I don't want the credit card inquiry process to lower the score.
Definitely yes, it you apply for a secured card, they will in fact make a hard inquiry on your credit history, and most likely it will lower your score and this is a fact.
Date published: 2018-06-30
is DCU's report to major credit bureaus reported as a secured credit card?
DCU reports this secured Visa account to all three major credit bureaus, however it does NOT report as a "secured" credit card. The account reports as an open credit card account. I hope this helps.
Date published: 2015-04-01
Do I need an account to get a secured credit card through this bank
Yes you do however the minimum deposit is $5.00. That's a small investment to the benefits of a low APR, no annual fee, and friendly customer service. Good luck!
Date published: 2015-08-21
Applied for this credit card by phone. The person was very nice and interested - approved app! Needed card before my trip to Europe. DCU sent it
FedEx. Quite impressed!
— MSM, Chico, CA
Easy Ways To Apply Today
Before you apply, please refer to the Details tab for important information.
- Apply Online – Most members get an answer on their application while still online.
- Apply by Phone – Apply 24 hours a day by phone 508.263.6700 or 800.328.8797, (select 3).
- Any DCU Branch – Visit your local branch to open a Visa Platinum Secured Card today.
We're Here To Help!
If you have any questions, please speak with a Member Service Representative at your nearest DCU branch or call our Information Center at 800.328.8797, weekdays from 8:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m., and Saturdays 9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m., Eastern time.
"Helped Me Grow"
DCU secured visa card is very useful and I needed one to build credit. DCU's card has great features and excellent service.
— Rajan, Netwark, DI
- StreetWise Guide to Credit and Credit Management – Pertinent information on how to obtain and maintain a good credit rating, credit scoring information, and much more.
- Calculation of Finance Charges – Learn exactly how finance charges or interest on DCU loan accounts are calculated.
- Financial Wellness and Recovery – Learn what DCU can do for you if you are now or think you may soon be experiencing a financial setback
- DCU Visa Gift Card – The DCU Visa Gift Card is always the perfect gift for any occasion.
- Mobile Wallets Enjoy all the benefits of your DCU Debit and Credit cards using Apple Pay, Google Pay, and Samsung Pay. It’s the easy, secure, and private way to pay with a simple touch.
- How to Make Your Loan Payment – We make it easy to make your loan payment. Find out more about our convenient payment options.
For Your Protection
- Payment Protection – Learn how we can help relieve the pressure of your loan payments during certain unexpected events
- Order replacement checks, dispute a transaction, or report fraud – Secure forms, located in Online Banking under Account Manager, allow you to address many items that may arise.
- Managing and/or avoiding credit card interest – Learn how to reduce or entirely avoid credit card interest.
- How to report a lost or stolen credit card – If your card has been lost or stolen call DCU immediately. After hours, report lost or stolen Visa Credit or Debit Cards at 800.847.2911.