Used Car Vehicle History
How do you find out the history of a used car?
Through registrations, insurance records, theft histories, lemon laws, flood damage claims, and odometer rollbacks, cars with problems leave an official paper trail. More often than you'd think, these problem vehicles end up back on the market.
To protect yourself, always obtain a Vehicle History Report on any vehicle you are considering to purchase. The Vehicle History Reports may be able to answer these questions:
- Was the vehicle totaled or in an accident?
- Does the vehicle have a "washed" title? A "washed" title is where sellers alter their vehicle titles to hide their salvage status to sell cars as regular used vehicles This is especially prevalent in areas ravaged by hurricanes such as Katrina, Rita and Sandy.
- Has the vehicle been in a flood?
- Is the odometer reading accurate?
- Was the vehicle returned as a lemon?
- Did the vehicle have regular emissions inspections and registration renewals?
Where to obtain a Vehicle History Report
Companies such as AutoCheck owned by Experian, and Carfax provide Vehicles History Reports obtained from numerous databases. Various auto selling sites offer some of these reports for free
Currently you can obtain either/or an AutoCheck or Carfax Vehicle History Report when you look up some vehicles on:
For those vehicles that are not listed on auto selling sites, such as those sold through private parties, you can also purchase a Vehicle History Report directly from the company at;