Financial Programs for Young Members
Financial Education and Services for Young Adults
- Apply Now
Special options for children and young adults
- Special checking benefits for members under 23
- Financial education tools
- And much more
Education and Services for Young Adults Details
Choose from the links below to learn more about your money and finances or to learn what special services are available for our younger members.
- Show Me Newsletter – Financial Education for Young Adults.
Services Available Beginning at Birth
- Savings Account –As soon as you have a Social Security number, you can open this account and become a member of DCU. A parent or guardian can open this account for you if you are too young to sign.
- Money Market Account –This account pays a higher dividend rate than Savings once your account balance exceeds $1,000. It is available as soon as you are a member. Optional Money Market Account checks become available on the account when you turn 12 provided an adult is a joint owner on the account.
- Certificate Account – Members under 23 can get our Regular Certificate dividend rates with a much lower minimum balance – $100 instead of $500. We call these Quick Start Certificates. Certificate Accounts carry our highest dividend rates. They are available to you as soon as you are a member.
- Member Described Account – You can open this account to save for a special purpose and give it a name such as Stereo or First Car. This is available to you as soon as you are a member.
- UTMA Accounts – UTMA (Uniform Transfers to Minors Act) Accounts are owned by you, but are managed by a legal adult for your benefit until you become a legal adult (age 18 in most states). This way of handling your accounts is available as soon as you are a member.
- Electronic Services – As soon as you are a member, you can use Online Banking and Easy Touch Telephone Teller. If an adult is a joint owner on your accounts, they can have a DCU ATM Card so they can more conveniently make deposits and withdraw cash from your account for you.
- Barnyard Cents Program – This FREE program offers you special benefits when you join the Barnyard Cents newsletter with your quarterly statements, contests, and more. It's for kids from 0 to 12. You can join as soon as you are a member.
Accounts and Services Available Beginning at Age 12
- Checking Accounts – You can open a checking account when you turn 12 provided a legal adult is a joint owner on your account. Until you turn 23 when signed up for eStatements, you get FREE DCU Custom checks, FREE ATM transactions everywhere,and other benefits. These benefits can continue from 23 as part of Checking with Plus and Relationship Benefits.
- ATM Card – You can begin to carry your own ATM card to access your DCU accounts at 12 if a legal adult is a joint owner of your accounts. The DCU Debit Card is available when you turn 15.
- Show Me Newsletter – Between ages 12 and 22, you'll automatically receive this award-winning educational newsletter for young adults. It's designed to help you gain the money skills you'll need during college and beyond
For more information
If you have any questions, or need paper forms, please speak with a Member Service Representative at your nearest DCU branch or call our Information Center at 508.263.6700 or 800.328.8797, weekdays from 8:00 am to 9:00 pm and Saturdays from 9:00 am to 3:00 pm, Eastern time.
Terms and conditions applicable to DCU's IRAs can be found in the IRA Disclosure Statement, Certificate Disclosure and Agreement (pdf format), our rates page, and Schedule of Fees and Service Charges. For a copy of any of these disclosures or for more information, visit a DCU branch or call the Information Center.
Easy Ways To Apply Today
- Log into Online Banking – If you are already a DCU member simply login and apply.
- By Phone – Call our information center at 508.263.6700 or 800.328.8797 weekdays from 8 am to 9 pm and Saturdays from 9 am to 3 pm, Eastern Time.
- Visit a DCU Branch – Visit a local branch and open a savings account. A Member Service Representative will assist you and be able to answer all your questions.
- By Mail – Print and fill out the Checking and Savings Application (.pdf format) and mail it in to DCU.
- New Membership Application (.pdf format) Join DCU and open a variety of savings, checking, and loan accounts with one form.
- Checking and Savings Application (.pdf format) – To open savings and checking account products.
- Truth-in-Savings Disclosures and Account Agreements
- Schedule of Fees and Service Charges