Online File Storage
Secure safekeeping for your important electronic files
Ordinarily, a safe deposit box is a good place to keep your important documents. However, many of the important documents we need to save today are electronic: wills, mortgage documents, financial statements, etc. We typically store these on our computer's hard drive, which is vulnerable to viruses and malware and leaves us at risk of losing these documents.
Online File Storage offers you a free and secure online storage method for your electronic documents.
Frequently Asked Questions
- What are the system requirements to use Online File Storage?
- What options are available in the Online File Storage toolbar?
- How do I add files into a folder?
- Can I create new folders?
- What types of documents can I store in Online File Storage?
- Can I share files that I've stored in Online File Storage?
- Are there file size or file type limitations?
- Are my files safe in Online File Storage?
- Who can I contact for Online File Storage support?
- Where can I find the Online File Storage Terms & Conditions?
The Online File Storage toolbar includes the following options:
- ADD FILE: Upload files from your computer to the currently selected folder.
- NEW FOLDER: Create a new sub-folder with a custom name within the currently selected folder.
- DOWNLOAD: Download files from the currently selected folder onto your computer.
- RENAME: Change the name of a file that you previously uploaded.
- DELETE: Move one or more items from the current folder into the Recycle Bin. Files in the Recycle Bin still count against available space until they are removed permanently.
- MOVE: Move one or more items from their current folder to a different folder or sub-folder.
- DETAILS: View detailed file information for a selected file.
- HELP: Display the FAQ page.
- RECYCLE BIN: This is a folder that contains all deleted items. Those that are deleted from within the Recycle Bin will be removed from your Online File Storage permanently.
- RESTORE: This option is only available from the Recycle Bin. Items can be restored to their previous folder.
To add a new file to the currently selected folder, select from the Online File Storage toolbar. Click the Select Files button and choose the file(s) to upload to the current folder.
Once you add your selected files to the upload list, you will be able to view the progression of each file's upload. Upon completion, select the Close button to return to your main Online File Storage page. You'll see that your files have been added to the folder and your usage meter (bottom left of the image below) has been updated.
Yes. Select the button from the Online File Storage toolbar. You can choose the name of your subfolder and it will be placed in the currently selected main folder.
Among the documents that we recommend storing in your Online File Storage are:
- Marriage certificate
- Copy of will
- Birth certificate
- Copy of passport
- Copy of professional license
- Military records
- Life and disability insurance policies
- Real estate deeds
- Home inventory and receipts for homeowners insurance
- Homeowners insurance policy
In short, any documents that are important to you personally or professionally. Store them in your Online File Storage as a backup to hard or electronic copies that you have stored in your home, office, or personal computer.
Yes. To share a file within the currently selected folder, select the file and select from the toolbar. The window below will open to set up the File Share Link options.
- One-time: The file share link is good for only one (1) download before the expiration date/time is reached.
- Multiple: The recipient(s) of the file share link may download the file multiple times until the expiration date/time is reached.
Expiration Options allows you to set the number of days the share link will be available for the recipient(s) to retrieve the shared file. The default is 1 day, however, you may change the number to be anything from 0-365. The file will not be available for download after the last day selected, at the time of day it was created.
NOTE: A value of zero (0) will make the file always available for download. If the multiple download option was selected, the file share link will always be valid until it is manually removed from the system.
The file share link can be sent to anyone by selecting the Copy Link button (or swipe and copy) and then pasting the URL into an email. To remove an Active Share Link once it has been created, select the Remove Link button.
You may share a file one at a time or you can share multiple files at a time.
NOTE: Once a file share link is created it cannot be edited. To adjust options for the active share link, you must remove the current link and generate a new one.
Yes, files cannot exceed 25MB. In total, you can store up to 100MB. For security purposes, Online File Storage will not accept executable file types (.exe, for instance).
Yes, all files are protected by 256 bit encryption. The Advanced Encryption Standards (AES) specifies a Federal Information Processing Standards approved cryptographic algorithm that can be used to protect electronic data. The AES algorithm is a symmetric block cipher that can encrypt (encipher) and decrypt (decipher) information.
If you experience any problems using Online File Storage or if you have any questions that are not answered on this page, please contact our Information Center at 800.328.8797.
You can view the full Terms & Conditions document here.