Pay anyone anytime free through Online and Mobile Banking
Bill Payer Benefits
- It's free, easy, and secure
- Use it 24 hours a day, seven days a week
- Receive some bills electronically
- Pay recurring bills automatically
- Easy access through Online and Mobile Banking
"Best thing since homemade ice cream!"
So user friendly and such a fantastic product!
— Gail D., Nashua, NH
Advantages of DCU's Bill Payer
Thousands of members pay millions of dollars in bills every month with DCU's Bill Payer. Here's why...
- It's secure – Bill Payer is safe and secure. It uses 128-bit SSL encryption when communicating data.
- It's easy – Setting up and paying bills is simple and fast. The maximum processing time is four business days before the payment reaches the biller. Some billers now offer same day or next day payments. The money will come out of your account and reach the biller on the pay date in most cases.
- It saves you postage – Over $49 a year if you pay 10 bills a month.
- It's FREE – Save up to $120 or more a year over competing services.
- You're in control – You can pay almost anyone, any amount, any time, day or night, or you can set up automatic payments.*
- It's convenient – Schedule single payments in advance. Schedule monthly, twice monthly, biweekly, weekly, and many other options.
- Pay bills on the go Once your billers are set up in Online Banking, you can also use Bill Payer in Mobile Banking to set up and make payments.
- Payee categories – Categories will be automatically assigned to each biller based on common industry categories, such as "Mortgage," "Utilities," or "Telephone." You can create new, personalized payee categories that will be integrated into the Bill History and Manage My Bills screens. These new categories can be filtered and sorted based on categories within the Bill History screen.
- Default funding account – Members who have more than one checking account set up in their Bill Payer account will be prompted to select their Preferred Account. Members will be prompted to select their Preferred Account on the Making Payments screen and when selecting a funding account during a payment set up.
- Receive some bills electronically – With eBills, you have the option to receive as well as pay your bills online from a growing list of companies and vendors.
To use Bill Payer, you'll need a DCU Checking Account. Payments are deducted from your account as you make them
* You may not use the online bill pay service to pay governmental fees (such as taxes), court-directed obligations (such as alimony or child support), or payments outside the United States and its territories.
How Bill Payer Works
When you first sign up for Bill Payer, you will need to complete the registration located in Online Banking under the Bill Pay tab. Once your application is submitted you can start using Bill Payer right away.
You can add your billers to the service using the Add a Biller tab in the Payment Center. The Add a Biller process allows you to match a user entry to electronic merchants, which requires less information in adding a new bill. This screen will prompt you to input information from your current billing statement sent to you by your biller. Bill Payer allows you to set up payments in advance, plus you can set up automatic payments with a wide variety if payment frequencies.
If the amount and/or due date of your payments vary, you can simply use the Make Payments section of the Payment Center. Enter the amount next to the biller you want to pay. The dynamic calendar will show you the earliest date you can expect your payment to arrive. You can schedule your payment to arrive any time later by entering a due date up to 12 months in the future by manually typing in a date or choosing a pay date from the dynamic calendar.
Bill Payer users can make changes to the payment amount, payment date, and withdrawal account of payments which are in pending status. The ability to change a payment is accessible from the Payment Center and Bill History screens.
The maximum processing time is 4 business days. Since the biller may not credit your payments to your account on the day they receive them, you may want to schedule your payment 5 to 8 days in advance and input a due date 1 to 3 days in advance of the due date printed on your bill. Note that some billers offer same day and next day payments.
If your bill is paid by check, the check will be sent to the biller three days before the due date. There are multiple mailing centers around the country to minimize transit time. If bills are paid electronically, it will be sent the day before the due date. Either way, the funds come out of your checking account on the due date you selected. In the case that your payment is sent by laser draft, the funds will be withdrawn when your biller cashes the check payment. A laser draft is a check drawn on your selected DCU checking account.
Payment checks include the biller's name, your name (the primary member's name), the biller's account number, and the amount.
For more information, click on Help when you are logged into Bill Payer.
How eBills Work
Online Banking includes an Electronic Bill service, free to DCU members. If you ordinarily receive bills from participating Electronic Bill companies, you can sign up to receive those bills electronically through Online Banking. Once the company processes your request, you'll start to receive their bills on line and you'll be able to pay them electronically as well, or in some cases a check will be sent to them.
If your biller offers Electronic Bills, the option to Add an electronic version of my bill will be available on the Manage My Bills screen. It's easy to sign up and use. Click on Help in the Manage My Bills section for more detailed information.
Bill Payer is rated out of 5 by 203.
Rated 5 out of 5 by Janice from Would like more than one member name on check Having only the primary account holders name on the check can be a problem when the secondary owner has a different last name (or possibly even if it is the same last name). It is confusing for billers to receive a payment from a name not on the bill. You can put other name in the memo, but billers don't always look there, and it is an extra step you could forget. It would be nice if we could customize the member names on the checks to include two or more names if desired (both primary and secondary owners) - not on a per payment basis, but as a general preference.
Date published: 2016-02-06
Rated 5 out of 5 by Raju from Bill Payer has great features I use it to pay my rent. DCU sends checks to my owner on scheduled date. Also I have used to pay my internet bills Bill Payer is easy to use and has several features.
Date published: 2015-04-15
Rated 5 out of 5 by Family4Circus from Works great with HSA expenses We only use bill payer for HSA expenses, and it works great. I had some hesitation because this is different from the systems our previous HSA providers have used, but it's so simple and so easy to use. Love it!!
Date published: 2014-11-22
Rated 5 out of 5 by Dino from The Best! I have been a member of DCU for over 15 years and in my opinion, it handily beats every other bank that I have tried...and I have tried many. From their products to their customer experience, DCU has been top notch and hard to beat. Thank you for your continued stellar service DCU!
Date published: 2014-11-17
Rated 5 out of 5 by emmy from dcu makes everything easy for the customer Thank you! It was easy to use and navigate. I liked that all accounts could be viewed on one page
Date published: 2014-11-08
Rated 5 out of 5 by AJ from Excellent service and support Excellent service and support. No comment for now.
Date published: 2014-11-07
Rated 5 out of 5 by Peter27 from Great way to write checks to Freinds I didnt knew that using bill pay we can write checks to our friends or Land lord. that we dont need a check book. however DCU charges for check book. this is best way to escape the charges from check book but still can write checks when ever required. DCU will post the check directly to reciepent address on their name
Date published: 2014-10-31
Rated 5 out of 5 by MD from Bill Payer Feature Makes Bill Paying a Breeze I find this tool very intuitive and quite useful for someone with very little time on their hands for organizing a budget and paying bills on time, every time.
Date published: 2014-10-30
Can Bill Payer automatically pay the balance of an Electronic Bill?
Larger, traditional banks will allow me to set up an automatic payment rule that will pay the balance of any eBill as soon as that eBill is received. In these descriptions, I only see talk of time-based automatic payments, and it isn't clear whether these payments can be anything other than dollar amounts. Does this bill pay service allow for automatic payment of an eBill on receiving it?
Bill payer has all of the options you mention.
Date published: 2013-10-23
Can I use bill pay to pay my house rent to my landlord who has a chase bank acct?
Can I use bill pay to pay my house rent to my landlord who has a chase bank acct? I am looking to do electronic money transfer every month. Please suggest.
So, I don't work for a bank, and won't pretend to be any kind of authority on bill pay systems. That said, I have used bill pay with different banks for a number of years. As best I'm aware, the default (esp. for payees that are individuals) method of payment in bill pay systems is for a physical check to be mailed to the recipient's mailing address. (Notice, bill pay systems always ask for mailing address, they never ask for payee bank account information.) For some reason, other countries seem to be more advanced than US for doing electronic payment direct to a recipient's bank account -- which is what I think you're trying to do. I believe Western Union can do this easily and online -- search for "direct to bank Western Union" or "send money to a bank account". I have done this from US to a foreign country, extremely smooth and fast, no hidden fees. I'm pretty sure they support US to US also, but I have never used it.
Date published: 2015-01-24
Can I use bill pay for rent?
If I set it up as the address being my landlord's, will I be able to use this to send my rent every month instead of writing and sending a normal check?
Yes, you can and easy. i been using from last 2 years.
Date published: 2015-01-03
Is Bill Payer Free?
Most of the information about Bill Payer on your web site says that Bill Payer is free, but the disclosure mentions the fee for the service, so I looked to see if it was included in any of the "service tiers". According to that, it doesn't become free until you get to the Checking Plus tier, which my 17 year old can't qualify for. Plese let me know what the actual answer is. For what it is worth: We tried to get him a DCU Visa card so he could be covered for emergencies and errands for us AND start understanding the use of credit with a low credit limit and while still at home to be advised, but you policy doesn't permit that so we had to go to a different bank - hence the desire to use Bill Payer. I sure don't understand the Visa age policy...
Our Bill Payer service is now a free service to all DCU members regardless of their checking account relationship.
Date published: 2013-10-23
When are payments sent?
Are payments sent prior to due date? If so, for how many days prior to due date?
Payments are the same every month and the due date is the same every month. When you choose to send payment depends on how you are paying. If you are using on-line bill pay you can pay it the same day. Although I always recommend paying a few days early in case you have computer issues or simply get busy and forget. If you are mailing your payments you want to be sure to mail them with enough to time to arrive before the due date.
Date published: 2013-10-23
Related Links and Disclosures
- Easy Ways to Pay Bills Bill Payer is just one convenient option. Here are some more.
- DCU Checking Accounts A DCU Checking Account is required to use Bill Payer and DCU has the best!
- StreetWise Checking Account Guide Learn how to get the most out of a checking account.
- StreetWise Privacy Protection and Fraud Prevention guide Learn how to protect yourself online from identity theft and fraud.
- Electronic Services Disclosure (.pdf format, 11 pages) This covers disclosures related to DCU electronic services such as Check Cards, ATM Cards, Online Banking, and Easy Touch Telephone Teller system.